Friday, May 4, 2012

Canyonland


Above Island in the Sky


Sunset Above the Green River

Island in the Sky


Spires of the Needle District

Me, back country road, Canyonlands
These are a few of my favorite things
I absolutely love Canyonlands.  The landscape is wildly diverse between regions, there is a magnitude of activities to enjoy, and every time you turn a corner, or traverse a hill, you are met with something quite surprising.  I also like that you can hike for hours and completely lose yourself in thought through some of the most spectacular temperate desert landscapes.
 
Wednesday afternoon and early evening I explored the Green River Basin, an area I had not been to before.  The lush green of the water against the warm sandstone is just the most spectacular contrast.  I would suggest this area for mountain biking or 4 wheeling.  I spent Wednesday night in my truck watching the sunset. 
Thursday morning I went to Island in the Sky, another area I had not explored.  It was a bit touristy but had beautiful overlooks.  

Thursday afternoon, I went to my favorite part of the Park, the Needles District.  I had a bit of a brain fart and forgot you couldn’t get to the Needles from the main park, but the extra 1.5 hour drive was worth it for some of my favorite hiking.  This trip I explored the Confluence Overlook trail.  It was pretty mellow and relaxing, perfect for a serene afternoon.  My favorite part about the Needles District is that the landscape looks like huge dinosaurs were in the midst of a sandcastle competition, and then, poof a giant storm knocked the dinosaurs to extinction and left the remains of the sandcastles.  I have not taken a guided geological tour, but I am sure this historic “poof” explains the spire and mushroom geography of the area. Anyway, other awesome trails in this area are Elephant Hill and Druid Arch, which I have done on past trips.                            

This evening, I found a Motel 6 in Green River, UT.  I asked the receptionist if there was a town or just a string of hotels, she told me that Green River has a lovely downtown; it’s a low key alternative to the rowdy Moab.  Then, I discovered that Arby’s was the only restaurant in town and there was a 15 person line to order.  I guess our perspectives on downtown differ.  I guess that’s part of taking a road trip.  Life is about perspective, if you are unhappy with an element of your life, change your perspective.  

No comments:

Post a Comment