Friday, May 25, 2012

Somewhere USA



My day of kitsch- somewhat tasteful to the crassly garish
Today I explored the kitsch side of road trips.  I explored Central California’s Hearst Castle and San Luis Obispo’s Madonna Inn.
 Hearst Castle was set on a remarkable plot of land overlooking San Simeon, a rough coastline with deep navy water.  There is no wonder why William Hearst picked this hilltop for his Spanish Revival Castle. The structure itself is somewhat unremarkable.  It’s a concrete earthquake proof structure clad to look like a Spanish castle.  The interiors are a bit gaudy for my taste, but kind of remarkably encompass Hearst’s unique collection of religious Renaissance and Gothic art.  He had a specific taste for hearths and ceilings; the ceilings of each room are elaborate tablets brought from Europe with the room designed around their dimensions.  It‘s a really interest showcasing of art through the medium of architecture. 
While I did not really enjoy the castle itself, the grounds are absolutely amazing.  From an elaborate Esplanade to a fruit tree covered horse trails to grazing wild animals, the guest of Hearst Castle must have felt like Mediterranean royalty.  From the Neptune pool to the Roman baths, Hearst spared no expense on this lavish estate, which he lovingly called “La Cuesta Encantada” (Enchanted Hill).



The other marvel of kitsch was the Madonna Inn.  Each room is themed from Western to Under the Sea, to Love Suites; this motel encompasses a plethora of garishly odd décor.  I was only able to go to the main lobby and gift shop, but see attached photos for the gist.  I guess taste is subjective and quirky is more memorable than tasteful.  I don’t exactly understand the appeal to kitsch.  The largest bottle of ketchup or the biggest rubber band ball, some things just don’t need to be celebrated.  Maybe, I am missing something, but I just don’t get it.  

No comments:

Post a Comment