Tuesday, May 15, 2012

More Zion



I am my father’s daughter
Most days I don’t think about the fact that I was raised primarily by a male; a goofy, sarcastic, but genuinely kind male.  On day three of Zion, I realized that I may be the spitting image of my mother, but I am undoubtedly my father’s daughter.  The list of Tom Cooneyism that I have mimicked this week:
  1. I smell checked two clothing items out of my clothes bin, acknowledge they did not match, shrugged the shoulders, and wore them anyway; they did after all pass the smell check.
  2.  I took all leftovers, including humus, carrots, spinach, beans, guacamole, apples, and corn, and threw them into a tortilla, shrugged my shoulders and said “not bad.”
  3. I blew a snot rocket off a cliff with about 20 people in my near vicinity.
  4.  I met a group of Los Angeles Mexican tourists on Cinco de Mayo who called me their new friend.  It reminded of me when my dad tried to join the Chicano Student group in the sixties.  My experience with Latin and Irish culture is we really do have a lot in common, but as Latin as dad and I may feel, pink just doesn't blend into the crowd.
  5. On a similar note, I set up my new campsite to Gloria Estefan music on my ipod.  Like my father, I found myself dancing along to the chorus in the whimsical way he does. I don’t like Gloria Estefan music, never have, not sure how she landed on my ipod, but when it starts, the feet just start moving.

 A big part of this trip is a solo experience, a time of self-reflection, but I have been surprised at how much I have been thinking about all the great people in my life.  The goofy quirks of my father and the compassionate, patient generosity of my mother have overwhelmed me at times.  I think in the selfish quest towards adulthood, I often forget how blessed I am to have supportive, kind parents to help guide me, let me fail softly, let me learn, and share my successes.  Thank you. 
On day three, I explored Adrielle’s greatest suggestion, The Narrows.  I did not know this hike existed but it soon became a bucket list item and my reason for each of you to visit Zion.  After getting outfitted in a wet suit, I began the 5 mile hike up the Virgin River between the Narrow Slot Canyons.  You are hiking the whole duration of the hike, calf to chest high in water.  The water is translucent, and the canyons shade the sun except for brief moments of brilliance when the sun penetrates the narrow slot between canyon walls.  This hike was an eerie experience to do solo, but I experienced transcendental moments that remind me that our creator has a way of reaffirming faith in even his greatest cynics. 

On day four, with a chest cold set deep into my lungs, I did the morning summit of Observation Point.  It was a nice hike; I was mainly using it as a training session for Rainier, which is coming up within the month. 
If I had only a short time in Zion, I would do Angel’s Landing, The Narrows, The Mt. Caramel Highway, and I would eat at Oscars, though Pizza and Noodle and Bit & Spur were also solid choices.

No comments:

Post a Comment