Friday, May 25, 2012

San Simeon to Monterey




A must visit
At the bottom of Big Sur is a nothing of a town that deserves at least a passing visit. Sea elephants, rocky beaches, mission architecture, and kite surfing make San Simeon the perfect place to spend an afternoon.  With rolling hills and contrasting deep blue and turquoise beach water, this place feels like a movie. 

Conversely, at the top of Big Sur, Monterey feels like everyone’s hometown.  The Canary Row, the Aquarium, and inviting bay with blooming purple flowers make this an engaging town.  I think a perfect week would be to spend a day or two in Monterey, a day or two in Carmel, a day or two in Big Sur, and a day or two in San Simeon.  I slept at a motel in San Simeon on the super cheap.  I spent an affordable night in Monterey at the HI Hostel, and I had a lovely dinner at the Mediterranean café Koko’s which I would recommend for a casual dining experience in Monterey.


No comments:

Post a Comment