Friday, May 25, 2012

San Diego



Simply Lovely
San Diego is one of my favorite places; not to mention a welcome ocean when you’ve spent weeks in the desert.  It’s easy to navigate, it has lovely beaches contrasted by lush parks, and an interesting makeup of beach bums, military personnel, tourists, and corporate types.  Since my mom lived in San Diego for most of my time in college, I have visited at least a handful of times.  She always came up with fun weekends filled with a mix of touristy and local activity that made a San Diego weekend a welcome distraction.  However, this time was my first trip without a home base, so I checked into the RV Park at Campland at Mission Bay. Minus the flock of mallards that attacked every morning when the sprinklers went off, I would definitely recommend this place to RVers and a safe option for tenter like myself.


















On day one, I went for a run along Mission Bay, a nice town beach with bay and ocean access.  It’s the perfect place to ride your bike or go for a run without feeling like you are at a meat market or on a runway.  I spent one lovely day in the past with Jeremy Voegel going jet skiing around the bay.  If San Diego weather does not make you want to be a runner, I don’t know what will.  I easily ran for an hour with clean air and zero elevation.  Next, I drove over the Coronado bridge to spend the afternoon in my second favorite place in San Diego.  Coronado Island, albeit touristy, has some really great bike paths that can take you straight to Mexico if you stay on them too long.  Knowing my navigational prowess, I found myself all the way in the Tijuana Estuarine Reserve.  Realizing I was a little close to the border with no ID, I decided it was time to peddle north.  I had deliciously delicate mahi tacos at Pehoe, a touristy but delicious bay view restaurant where I have had three meals, all of which have been delightful.  I finished the day by driving up to the Point Loma military base in hopes of being at the lighthouse at sunset, which I vaguely remember being able to do in years past.  Anyway, the park was closed so I settled for a sunset at lower elevation in East Mission.
On day two, I returned to my new favorite San Diego restaurant, Café 21.  My favorite and only Ajerbaiijan restaurant serves the most delicious brunch imaginable. Last visit, I had chicken curry cakes and a porter beer.  On this trip, I had the turkey kabobs and red chai tea.  The cakes are out of this world, but the kabobs were a great treat too.  If you find yourself in Downtown/ Gaslamp area, stop here to eat; I give it my highest endorsement.  After that, I went to my favorite San Diego attraction, Balboa Park.  Bigger in area than Central Park, Balboa has a few of my favorite things: great museums, Spanish architecture, blossoming fig trees, rolling hills, a wonderful restaurant, quaint outdoor cafes,  nestled sculpture gardens, and eclectic sidewalk art.  I have spent many a delightful afternoons in this park, a memorable late lunch with Jonathan Bahr in the modern sculpture garden, and today a trek through the free exhibits at the Museum of Art.  I went to La Jolla to say hello to the friendly sea lions and then did a light hike at Torrey Pines to see the storm roll in over Del Mar beach.  As the sun set, I headed north to spend the night in San Clemente and start the morning on the PCH.

No comments:

Post a Comment